Gardening jobs to do in March:
The sun is shining, birds are singing and it’s time for your garden to come back from the winter weather. Your garden needs some help getting back in shape, here at Blue Iris Landscapes we offer our clients a One-Off Gardening Service which can prepare your garden for spring.
- Sow tomatoes, aubergines and peppers in temperatures of around 21ºc.
- Lay turf or finish preparations for sowing grass from seed.
- Chit seed potatoes before planting. You can do this by placing them in a clean box or tray (old egg trays are ideal) and keeping them in a cool (8 to 10°c), light place, where they will produce strong sturdy shoots to give an earlier crop. Chitted potatoes can then be planted at this time of year.
- Stake young plants before they need it – ‘pea sticks’ are particularly good for use with perennials.
- Pests such as red spider mite should be controlled as early as possible. Look out for the signs – yellow and brown dots on plants are an early sign. In order to help control pests, retain humidity and moisture and keep plants out of the late afternoon sun and/or arid weather.
- Plant out vegetables sown undercover last month and cover with cloches to harden off.
Please contact us on one of the following options if you would like more information about gardening in the month March or if you would like us to take a look at your garden: –
Free Phone: 0800 0937926
Head Office: 01782 396168